Saturday, December 17, 2011

As Requested: Shortbread Recipe



A couple of days ago, I wrote a post on Scottish shortbread, some of which is in this gift tin. Judith, at Lavender Cottage, asked if I was going to share the recipe. Now, there is someone who knows how to bake!

As I mentioned on Thursday, "Years ago, a friend (of Ukrainian heritage) gave me a recipe for Scottish shortbread. A Scottish woman she knew had given her the recipe 25 years previously." 

For Judith, and anyone else who likes shortbread, here we go!









Shortbread Cookies (Scottish Recipe)

4 cups flour (all purpose)
1 cup fruit sugar (superfine, not icing sugar)
3/4 cup rice flour
1 lb butter, softened

Blend sugar into butter.
Add rice flour and mix.

Gradually add all purpose flour.
Dough will be very stiff and crumbly. (I use the dough hooks on my hand mixer when the dough starts to get stiff, much easier than a wooden spoon I used years ago!)

Pat dough into a jelly roll pan. (My pan is a cookie sheet about 12 by 18 inches or 29 by 44 cm.)
Use rolling pin to flatten.

Cut dough in pan to make "fingers" and use a fork to prick each "finger" a few times.
(Oops. Mine look closer to squares than fingers. See my earlier post for photos.)

Bake at 300 degrees Fahrenheit (150 Celsius) for approximately 45-60 minutes. (It was closer to 45 in my oven.)

When removed from oven, cut along the same lines again.
Allow to cool slightly in pan.
Then, remove and cool on wire rack. 

(How you cut them will determine how many the recipe yields. I ended up with 5 dozen little cookies.)

I'd love to hear back if you give them a whirl!






A sampling of the shortbread is packed up and heading out with me later today. A few of my "traveling buddies" are getting together to have dinner and share pictures of our November trip. Some of you have read my travel posts and I'm very appreciative! There will be one or two more coming soon, featuring: Toulon, France; Cartagena, Spain; and Barcelona, Spain.

Have a fabulous weekend!
-Karen

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe I am going to try it tomorrow is it all right to use plain flour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a good shortbread baker, but I will give this a try and post photos - promise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds wonderful. I am going to add shortbread to my cookies this year. I will let you know how they turn out. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious. I love love shortbread, my trouble is I am on a diet these days so I will not make it.
    Thank you for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen
    Thanks so much for the recipe and after I buy the rice flour, I'm going to bake some shortbread myself. For years I made the butter, flour and icing sugar variety but love the Scottish shortbread you can buy.
    I'll let you know how they turn out.
    Hugs,
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the recipe! Years ago, I worked in an office and my supervisor was an elderly single lady named Miss Cooper - who was very proud of her Scottish heritage and who made fabulous shortbread for us every Christmas. It's a great memory.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely LOVE shortbread. I have never tried baking it myself but if I do, I'll stop by and share. Thank you for sharing, they look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I copied out your recipe as I love shortbread. The addition of rice flower seemed very intriguing and they look very light and flaky in your photo. Hopefully I will get to do some baking later this week. I am going to take this opportunity to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and the happiest of new years. I look forward to seeing your trip pictures in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delicious sounding recipe. Shortbread is one of my favorite treats.

    Thank you for all your wonderful comments. I really appreciate them all.

    Merry Christmas, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my this looks so good!! Thanks for the visit and the prayers. I do appreciate it a lot. Merry Christmas!

    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are the BOMB...this is cool. I am going to make this. Can I be honest? Ok good...I ACCIDENTALLY found one of my XMAS gifts and I am getting this awesome shortbread MOLD with teapots on it HAHAHAHAHA! Now I have a recipe to go with my new pan.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...